Make the phone work for you

Thanks for taking the time between your facebook posts to read my blog.  A friend just texted me that he was following a tweet that suggested another blog encouraged emailing your friend list.  In today's e-connected culture, the true art of how to talk to another human being... I mean, really talk, well - that's becoming a lost art.

So, let me help you with a few tips on how to make the phone work for you.  First, some philosophy.  When calling prospects to schedule another appointment with them, two things can happen - you talk to them, or go to voicemail.  So, the first philosophy is that when you pick up the phone, you better have 2 plans, based on the two possibilities!

So, if it goes to voicemail, your whole mission is to entice the receiver to call you back.  Don't sell, don't give away incentives, don't be desperate.  Get them to call you back.  The best way to do that is to be personal and intriguing.  Try something like "This is Bob at XXXX, 444-2323.  Listen, you asked me a question when we last met that stumped me, and I have the answer, and the answer could save you thousands!  I can't wait to share it with you!  444-2323."

That's it.  Most salespeople overdo it on the voicemail.  Keep it simple, personal, and intriguing.

Next, you have someone on the phone - your whole goal is to get them to meet with you in person.  To do that, you must follow 4 simple steps:
  1. Make it Personal - Don't ever fall into the "I'm just callin' all my customers to let 'em know...." trap!  No!  you must make it personal - "I just discovered something and I thought of you!"  or "I have some exciting news, and you were the first person that came to mind!"  Get it?  Make sure the caller knows that they are the reason you are calling! 
  2. Make it Urgent - if the reason you are calling is to set a personal appointment, you need to put brackets around that timeframe.  There has to be a reason that you must meet, quickly.  "I have a limited opportunity to help you solve your biggest concern."  or "We have an workshop next weekend on one of your favorite topics.. your golf swing!"
  3. Set an appointment at an uneven time - Follow the guidance of your family doctor, and stop setting appointments on the hour.  In other words, there are 59 other minutes on the clock other than 11 am, 1 pm, 2 pm, etc.  Use them!  I bet your doctor sets your times at 8:10 am, or 1:15 pm.  know why?  They know that's the best way to get you to show up, and on time.   It conveys that you are busy.  Your prospects are 40% more likely to show up, on time, to an appointment that is set at an uneven time.
  4. Plant a seed - To cinch the appointment, give them a hint why you are meeting.  "I'm so excited about our visit.  I have a limited opportunity to provide 3 customers with this particular special.  Based on our last conversation, it will fit your needs perfectly!"
Again, don't overdo it.  Make it simple, personal, and effective.  Don't go into new sales pricing, product, or any other sales pitch over the phone.  All of that is more effective in person.

Comments

  1. Thanks for posteing. Look forward to put your suggetions to work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friends, Facebook, and Followup

How to earn the right to close